Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spring Gardening has begun!

My son fell asleep in the car ride on the way home today from work. So he slept a good part of the evening. I did as well after dinner. It has been a long, rough couple of weeks at work. I had a major landscape installation to complete with our crews as well as many appointments with clients and misc. items to take care of. I am ready for Memorial Day week-that is for sure. I also worked with a migraine headache today-that I still have.

Not to mention the weather lately has been a major challenge. Of the past 7 days only two have been decent weather. And both I was working and unable to garden. Last week in about three days we had 2.5" of rain in Denver-highly unusual for us. And it hit us again today. We had snow in the mountains, rain and hail in the city, some funnel clouds and oh-my nemesis the WIND. It is definitely a four letter word in my book.

So decided that I needed to blog. Monday was good weather and Nathan again fell asleep in the car on our way home at the end of the day. I wasn't really in the mood to plant my goodies from the Denver Botanic Gardens plant sale. But I did need to till in the compost I laid last fall-even though some of it blew away. And the soil was perfect for light raking and turning over. So I began my warm-up garden exercises. I use these types of activities often to get my juices flowing for the creativity needed to plan or plant. So after I raked the perennial garden I then planted my shade garden perennials. I thought well, perhaps I will do the rock garden plants this weekend, but then i got into the groove and got them planted as well. I was wanting to get it done prior to this rain we received-thought it would better for them to help get them settled into place. Plus we have a busy weekend coming up again. So I have planted all that I have purchased.

I do have a tray of some items that I started by seed in February and March. They are sitting in the dining room still growing. Most of them are ready to plant. I know what most of them are at this point-however, I am sometimes not very good at the details-I made plant tags, however over the past couple of months-even with a sharpie marker-have faded. So some of the items I have no idea what they are. So I will plant where I think they should go for now and then transplant them later.

I also managed to repot the two water plants I purchased at the sale. So I hope they will be happy now and thrive! This weekend I will clean out the pond filters.

Well, I am signing off for now. I will update pictures soon.

1 comment:

ann said...

Can't wait to see what your mystery plants are!