Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Worst Critic

When I was in high school I worked on our high school newspaper, The Norther Lights. I was assistant editor and then I moved on to being the editor. I wrote a variety of articles over my years on the paper. Movie critic was one of the more enjoyable of the articles I had the pleasure of working on. It is so easy to sit out side and be a critic. I often wonder if thespians are as hard on themselves as some of the critics and viewers are.

A critics job is to evaluate, critique, and provide feedback based upon the subject they are viewing. They use a bevy of information, history, knowledge, expertise to provide this critique. Critics exist in many arenas of life. I am not sure if there is a difference between critics and judges. I would say yes, because a judge is giving an award in some form. Either monetary or for display. Critics may or may not be paid for their critique but they provide their professional or novice critique for the betterment of their industry, product, or to provide a knowledge base for viewership.

I have become my own worst critic. My neighbors comment all of the time about the beauty of our front yard and the hard work I have put into it. It truly is such a passion, it is borderline obsession. I wish I had great before photos of the yard when we first moved in. Perhaps I can do some digging and find some. I wasn't good at before photos when I started the re-landscaping.

Despite my evening toils-and I am not out there every evening working...But despite my evening toils I still cannot creat this Utopia garden. I continually work and buy plants and fuss and fight through frustration, tears, and sweat. Mostly sweat. A lot of sweat. I hate sweat.

I see all of the browning leaves and needles. The plants that aren't growing in the right direction. The plants I placed too closely and take notes to move in the fall. Although I have a degree in horticulture and along with this and arboriculture it is my job, I still have oversights.

To my credit we are experiencing one of the hottest summers I can ever recall. The scorch on plants and mite damage is rampant in Denver. The mites I can control, the scorch I cannot. Plants that have been established in the garden and thrived have all but turned to dust in a day. I am expecting a high water bill next month because some days I am watering twice. The frustration is with the goal of putting finishing touches on gardens in order to move on, I will be doing that along with replacements this fall. Uggh.

There are no pictures on this blog. A rather boring blog, but I want to showcase my successes and not share photos of my failures.

My ultimate goal is to someday have a garden that is recognized. Not just by neighbors, friends, and family but by critics. To rave reviews and perhaps maybe even a magazine article. Recognition. Not an award, just recognition. In order to get there, I have to get past the worst critic...MYSELF! Because it is mine I see all of its short-comings and missteps.

It does get exhausting at times trying to achieve something such as this. I shall not give up.

As Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."

Garden on.


:) Posted by Heather using BlogPress from my iPad. Happy blogging!

Location:W Flora Pl,Denver,United States

1 comment:

ann said...

You are much too hard on yourself. We always do see all of the imperfections. We know where they are.